Image Map

Sunday, July 6, 2014

July 4th Peavine

What better way to start July 4th than a 8.2 mile race where the first 3.5 miles are up hill? I can't think of one, so for the second year I joined 500+ runners on the trek. The weather was amazing! 64 degrees at the start which is unheard of for the south. Last year I was still of the mindset that time mattered in a race. This year I know that the experience can be just as important. I made a conscious effort as the race began to just enjoy the run and I did. On a hill walk break I met Hilary. We had a nice quick chat and continued to cheer each other on throughout the race. I stopped at the overlook and took pictures for two ladies. Last year I didn't even stop to enjoy the view from the top of the hill because it would waste time! After the overlook stop is the last big climb to the top. The volunteers are great to motivate and encourage runners to finish the second half of the race. After my pitstop for Gatorade I headed back down the hill. I love running downhill! I can really open my stride and cruise. I was enjoying my run when I caught up with a little girl who was walking alone. I stopped and walked and asked her if I could run with her. She said yes and we ran for about 10 min and had a really nice visit. I was so impressed that a 9 yr old was willing to tackle that course! I continued on my way and reached the trail portion of the race. The last 1.2 miles is a single track trail. I am a road runner and not a fan of trails, but this year was much better. I tried my best to enjoy rather than focus on how much I dislike trail running! When the trail is over so is the race! Once again BTC volunteers put on a fabulous race, from pre race instructions, to water stops, to post race party. BTC knows how to "run" a race! 

No comments:

Post a Comment