Image Map

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Vulcan 2013

Most local races start with my little girl, ME, and I driving to Homewood for packet pickup at Trak Shak. It's about 30 minutes away but I would rather the extra drive rather than a race day packet pickup. A trip to Homewood also means a stop by Homewood Toy and Hobby for ME and this trip wasn't any different. With packets in hand we were ready for our traditional pre-race chicken and rice dinner. Race day was chilly so I went with running capris instead of my new running skirt. Mike decided to wear a shirt, ha! After dropping a sleepy ME at my parent's house we met Chris and headed to Birmingham. It is crazy to think that the Vulcan run 2012 was my 1st 10k and now 6 mile runs are a regular distance for me! The Vulcan course is a rolling course from Linn Park, to Avondale area, up and across Highlands, through 5 Points South then back to Linn Park. The start of the race is somewhat hectic as everyone tries to cross the start mat, and find their pace, but it opens up by mile 2. My favorite portion of the race is Highlands. The homes and parks provide great scenery and there are usually some spectators to cheer on the runners. The Downtown Running Club had a great group out to support runners and there was another group setup tailgate style with a band. I am claiming this race as my new PR.I am doubting the course measurement from Auburn in April. That course was very hilly and it was hot. I felt great yesterday on the Vulcan course and really opened up (for me!) several times. I finished 30 out of 94 in my age group which makes me happy, usually I am in the top 50%. After the race I found my hubby ( who set a PR of 49:42, check him out at House Family Fitness on Facebook) and we stretched, rehydrated and snapped some quick pics while we waited on Chris to finish up. Once we found Chris, we all got our dry clothes, changed then headed to check out the post race refreshments. One of our favorite local breweries Cahaba Brewing supplied the adult beverages. Waffle House was selling belgian waffles for a $1 each, but was passed for free hotdogs and chips. The Vulcan race is one of my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment