Image Map

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

1200 miles

My husband and I joined the Birmingham Track Club for the first time last year. We mainly joined because they were offering a great value on BTC sponsored races in 2013, but it has become something more than I expected. Each year BTC proposes a challenge for members to run 1200 miles in a year. As this year started I was preparing for my first half marathon and so I thought I'd give the challenge a try. I started running in the spring of 2011 and had worked my way up to running 14-16 miles a week. Once I started training for the Mercedes half marathon I obviously stepped things up, but I was far from the 23-25 miles I would need each week during the course of the year. January 2013 was a good month with 111 miles, but February was short and tapering for the 1/2 marathon cut my miles short, but I decided to stay with the challenge. It has been a long year, but I have learned so much about myself and running. I have completed 2 half marathons, and many races from 5k's to10 milers. I feel like the challenge has taken me from someone who just jogs for exercise to an actual runner. The challenge is one month from completion and I am feeling so accomplished because I know I have less than 100 miles to run! Of course with the WDW half marathon in January I will get more miles in than 100 :) I also know that the challenge will just start all over come January 1, but I'm ready!    

No comments:

Post a Comment